About The Scholarship
The BITSAA International Graduate Application Scholarship provides financial assistance to BITSians for their applications to MS/PhD programs. We believe BITSians are among the very best in engineering our country has to offer and hence deserve the very best grad schools the world has to offer. This initiative is a small step towards ensuring that the financial burden of applications does not get in the way of an ambitious and successful app.
The cost of applying to graduate programs has risen considerably in the last few years. Taking the GRE costs ~$170, and the Subject Test and TOEFL cost $150 each; additional score reports come to at least $15 per university for each of these tests. Application fees for each program have also risen; at Stanford, for instance, the fee is $105. UC Berkeley and UIUC (both public schools) have fees of $80 and $75 respectively. Even for people applying to just 6 universities, the cost of tests and application fees alone can easily be over $1000. Then there are costs for transcripts, visa applications and processing, and much more.
How to Apply?
If you would like more information about this scholarship, or have any questions/comments/suggestions, please fill out the form below and the Scholarships team will contact you. (Note – The form is available during the application cycle only.)
Since applying has become so expensive, it’s become harder for many BITSians to afford. The idea is for BITS alumni to pay for a significant part of the costs, making the application process more affordable. This should also encourage more BITSians to apply to top schools. We hope that the program will eventually become self-sustaining, with people who receive the scholarship in one year paying for the next generation of BITSians to apply. All students who are currently pursuing their undergraduate/graduate degree in any of the BITS campuses are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
Over the next few years, until the program becomes self-sustaining, its success will largely depend on the enthusiastic support of alumni for their juniors. The current plan is to support 3 students during their application process. Please note that BITSAA does not support funding for graduate studies at this point.
- The scholarships are open to all BITSians from Pilani, Goa, Hyderabad & Dubai campuses, irrespective of their discipline.
- Final year students are eligible to apply.
- The scholarships will be awarded based primarily on academic merit.
- Financial need will also be a factor in determining to whom scholarships are awarded, and the amount of each scholarship. Note that you do NOT have to be a recipient of the BITS merit-cum-need scholarships in order to apply.
- The scholarships are given out in the faith that students, who benefit from it, will support future applicants
- The evaluation panel looks at a broad set of parameters while evaluating your application for the Graduate Application Scholarship. The following are some pointers to help you frame your application and essay well while applying:
- In addition to academic performance, technical capability/ expertise (which are reflected in your projects, research, papers, etc) and leadership abilities, you must ensure you highlight your zeal to pursue the chosen field of interest.
- The panel also carefully looks at the clarity you have of the area you have chosen for higher studies, and your aspirations post graduate studies.
- Your essay must be built around both the points mentioned above. The panel wishes to learn about what you want to do in addition to what you have done till now.
For submitting application, please click here.
For any questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org